The Las Vegas police took the unusual step on Friday of releasing key details about the investigation into the Oct. 1 shooting that killed 58 people and wounded hundreds of others.
Sheriff Joseph Lombardo, the head of the Las Vegas police, said in a news conference that while he was confident that Stephen Paddock was the only gunman, there was still another person under investigation who is likely to be charged in the next two months. There will not be charges against Mr. Paddock’s girlfriend, Marilou Danley, Mr. Lombardo said. He also said there was still no motive known for the attack.
Investigators have uncovered extensive details about the internet search history on Mr. Paddock’s computer, including guidance on ballistics and information about SWAT team tactics as well as child pornography. Law enforcement officials believe Mr. Paddock had recently lost a “significant amount of wealth,” and that motivated him to open fire from his hotel room at the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino.
The police published an 81-page “preliminary investigative report” detailing Mr. Paddock’s actions in the two weeks leading up to the attack as well as his extensive planning to carry it out. Federal court documents unsealed last week made it clear that Mr. Paddock meticulously planned for the worst mass shooting in modern American history. According to the report released Friday, 851 people were injured in the shooting, including 422 by gunfire.
It was the first time Mr. Lombardo has spoken publicly about the case in more than two months. He repeatedly emphasized how unusual it was for the department to release details of an open investigation. He said investigators had reviewed more than 2,000 leads and 21,000 hours of video.
“The release of this report is not standard practice,” he said. “I am going against normal protocols and releasing this information now.”